Putting a date in the diary helps us to focus when we want to achieve a goal. It is the T of Time in the SMART goal setting process. Although setting a date should not be carved in stone it can act as a guide and help us develop the roadmap for the time framework in which to gather and utilise resources to achieve our goal.
So, how can we use a date in the diary to say launch a business
to motivate you to keep move forward? Well,
we have all heard of the SMART method but what about the GROW model, a
framework used in coaching to literally help you grow. You could self-coach by asking yourself a
series of questions to keep you on task in each of the different sections:
G – Goal (What do you want?)
- When will you launch your business?
- What is going to be the best thing that is going to happen when you achieve this goal?
R- Reality (What is happening now?)
- What have you done so far towards achieving your goal?
- What has stopped you from doing more?
- Think about a time when you have done something similar. What did you learn?
- What resources do you have to help you with your goal?
O- Options (What could you do?)
- What could you do to move you one step closer to the launch date?
- If you had all the time/energy/power in the world, what would you do?
- What advice would your role model give you?
- What is missing?
W- Will (What will you do?)
- List or underline the actions you must go through to complete to launch
- When are you going to take these actions?
- How long do you think this list of actions will take you?
- What obstacle or barrier might stop you from doing these actions?
- How will you overcome this obstacle?
(Source: The Coaching Academy, 2021)
Want to know more?
The GROW model was created by Sir John Whitmore. Find out more about this model and how to self-coach here
Thinking about starting a side business?
The Business of Life is part of the 3Cs Digital brand whose vision and mission it is to inspire and empower women to start and grow successful small businesses with confidence.
As well as the blog, The Business of Life is developing an online coaching programme called *5 Steps into Entrepreneurship: Side Business Start Up Success* for women over 40.
So, if you are a looking to diversify your work portfolio and income stream; and create more freedom, flexibility and financial income so that you are empowered to live a life full of passion, purpose and prosperity book a free 30-minute coaching call to find out how to start your side business from the comfort of your own home.
Have a business already? Need support in starting and developing it online?
3Cs Digital is a web marketing service dedicated to helping women in business set up and develop their online presence. Through coaching or consultancy services in web design, copywriting and social media marketing 3Cs Digital equips women in business with the digital knowledge and skills to: create and design websites, find their brand voice and curate social media posts to attract their ideal customers to their small business website.