During the coronavirus pandemic lockdowns, people got the chance to re-engage with or take up new passions and interests. Baking, sewing, knitting and painting to name a few became very popular past times with sells of associated resources going through the roof. If a neighbour complimented the freshly baked cookies you left on their doorstep, a friend liked an outfit on Instagram that you sewed or a colleague commissioned you do a painting as birthday present, could what you have started as a hobby turn into a business? Would you want it to?
Well, here are 5A questions to ask yourself if you are thinking about turning a hobby into a business.
1. Are you dreaming of a lifestyle and/or way of working that a business could one day help make a reality? What's your why?
2. Are you motivated and passionate enough to want to see your product/service meet the needs of a particular target audience? What’s the vision? What’s the mission?
3. Are you willing to produce your product/service on a bigger scale? A hobby you can pick up and put down when you want but a business requires you to take consistent daily action.
4. Are you prepared to learn and develop business, marketing, sales and digital skills to set up and grow your business?
5. Are you financially ready to invest in a business? You do not need a lot of money to start a business nowadays unless you go for a bricks and mortar business or a product that requires a lot of R&D. However, apart from start-up costs, could you consistently invest in your development, IT and resources to produce your product or service?
Want to know more?
Listen to The Jasmine Star Show’s podcast episode ‘Is your Passion a Business or a Hobby? here
Thinking about starting a side business?
The Business of Life is part of the 3Cs Digital brand whose vision and mission it is to inspire and empower women to start and grow successful small businesses with confidence.
As well as the blog, The Business of Life is developing an online coaching programme called *5 Steps into Entrepreneurship: Side Business Start Up Success* for women over 40.
So, if you are a looking to diversify your work portfolio and income stream; and create more freedom, flexibility and financial income so that you are empowered to live a life full of passion, purpose and prosperity book a free 30-minute coaching call to find out how to start your side business from the comfort of your own home.
Have a business already? Need support in starting and developing it online?
3Cs Digital is a web marketing service dedicated to helping women in business set up and develop their online presence. Through coaching or consultancy services in web design, copywriting and social media marketing 3Cs Digital equips women in business with the digital knowledge and skills to: create and design websites, find their brand voice and curate social media posts to attract their ideal customers to their small business website.