What do you do? Aagh yes that question we often ask people that we have just met. For an employee it is a straight-forward descriptive answer. However, for an entrepreneur putting across what you offer and who you serve in a clear and succinct way is a potential sale, contact and/or referral.
Natalie Eckdahl founder of Biz Chix a consultancy for high performing female founders and business owners believes that in order to scale your business you need to be specialist than a generalist. In other words, serve a niche market and do it well.
When you are starting out in business you keep it broad to gain traction and learn. However , overtime it will become clearer who resonates with you and your product/service and which ones they are buying. If you reach that point of where your business interests and passion is aligned with your customers buying needs this is what you need to double down on to grow.
Here are 5 reasons why doing business as specialist makes it easier to grow:
1. Referrals - People know what type of client to refer to you because e.g., you are a graphic designer for estate agents, do web design for women in business, manufacture clothes for children
2. Marketing - You know who your target audience is so it easier to develop your content and messaging to resonate with them
3. Professional development – You know what specialist knowledge and skills you need to develop to be top of your game and to innovate for new product/service development
4. Partnerships – It will be clearer who you need to or could partner with to deliver your products and services
5. Building a team – When you serve a specific market with a specific product it can help to identify the knowledge, skills and values that you need to build a team to help you grow and scale your business
Want to know more?
Listen to the Biz Chix podcast episode *May I Send You Clients* here to find out why it pays to be specialist in business.
Thinking about starting a side business?
The Business of Life is part of the 3Cs Digital brand whose vision and mission it is to inspire and empower women to start and grow successful small businesses with confidence.
As well as the blog, The Business of Life is developing an online coaching programme called *5 Steps into Entrepreneurship: Side Business Start Up Success* for women over 40.
So, if you are a looking to diversify your work portfolio and income stream; and create more freedom, flexibility and financial income so that you are empowered to live a life full of passion, purpose and prosperity book a free 30-minute coaching call to find out how to start your side business from the comfort of your own home.
Have a business already? Need support in starting and developing it online?
3Cs Digital is a web marketing service dedicated to helping women in business set up and develop their online presence. Through coaching or consultancy services in web design, copywriting and social media marketing 3Cs Digital equips women in business with the digital knowledge and skills to: create and design websites, find their brand voice and curate social media posts to attract their ideal customers to their small business website.