If you are new to online marketing or having to pivot your business from social media to a website ‘shop front’ how do you design your first small business website?
Here’s how in 8 steps:
Do a website audit of 3 of your competitors and
a website outside of your industry to generate brand and content ideas.
2. Decide if you are going to build it yourself using a website template package (e.g. WordPress, Fasthosts, Wix, Squarespace) or procure a web developer to build and design from scratch. The former is a cost effective one stop for web hosting, domain name registration and creating a business email. While the latter, is more expensive but with a clear brief you get a customised website to your taste and specific business needs.
3. Decide on a website hosting provider (companies that rent out their server space to keep all your webpages and give easy access to your website over the internet) that you are going to use and create and register a domain name for your business.
4. Put together a 2-page brand book to cover the look, feel and image of your website e.g. colours, fonts, photos, typography, infographics etc that would resonate with your ideal customer
5. Design your website with the user experience (UX) front of mind. Sitemaps help to layout how your customers will navigate your website from beginning to end. What signature products do you want customers to buy?
6. Make your web copy SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) friendly so you can be found in google when people to a keyword search
7. Use royalty and copyright free photos and images; and if not ensure you have written permission from the original source
Remember, the purpose of your small business website is to do what I call the 3C’s:
- CONNECT to your ideal customers and community
- CAPTUTRE the names and email addresses of actual and potential clients for your email list and sales pipeline
- CONVERT browsers into buyers
Want to know more?
Before you plan to build your website yourself or hire someone else why not get up speed on what you need to know with @3CsDigital toolkit ‘How to Design your (first) Small Business Website’ here 10% off Spring Sale. Hurry while stocks last.
Looking for digital marketing resources to help you get your business online?
3Cs Digital Shop on Etsy is an educational platform
helping women in business get up to speed with digital marketing to do it
yourself or hire someone else. Download your web marketing toolkits and
templates direct to your device. #LetsDoDigital with confidence and ease.
Need 1:1 support in developing your business journey online?
Digital is a web marketing service dedicated to helping women in business set
up and develop their online presence. Through coaching or consultancy services
in web design, copywriting and social media marketing. 3Cs Digital equips women in business
with the digital know how and skills to start and grow a successful small