Happy Halloween folks! Yes, that was the ghoulish surprise (or not as the press leaked it) that we all got when the government announced that England will go into lockdown from Thursday 5th November for 4 weeks. With reluctance and resistance to go down this route Boris finally admitted to himself and the nation that to save the NHS and Christmas we need to have a national lockdown.
The 3-tier traffic light system has been temporarily stopped; and everybody is now on red alert. So, what does a second lockdown mean for you, your business, family and more…
- Pubs, bars, restaurants will have to close, but can still provide takeaway and delivery, excluding takeaway of alcohol
- Non-essential retail will close, but can remain open for click-and-collect delivery
- Indoor and outdoor leisure facilities, such as gyms and swimming pools, will also close, along with entertainment venues and personal care facilities such as beauty salons
- Overnight stays, staying in a second home, and holidays will not be allowed - including in the UK and abroad - although there are exceptions, such as work trips
- Children will still be able to move between homes if their parents are separated
- Construction sites and manufacturing workplaces can remain open
- Schools, colleges and universities will remain open
- People are to stay at home except for specific reasons e.g. work that can’t be done from home, childcare or education, exercise outdoors, medical reasons, essential shopping, providing care for vulnerable people or for volunteering, and visiting members of your support bubble.
- Clinically vulnerable people will be asked to be 'especially careful' but people will not be asked to resume shielding
- People are told to avoid all non-essential travel by private or public transport
- Meeting indoors or in private gardens will not be allowed, but individuals can meet one other person from another household outside in public places
- Weddings and civil partnership ceremonies will not be able to take place except in exceptional circumstances, and funerals will be limited to a maximum of 30 people
- Places of worship will close, unless they are being used for funerals, to broadcast acts of worship, individual prayer, formal childcare, or essential services such as blood donation or food banks
The government has recognised the impact that the lockdown will have on business and has vowed to extend the furlough scheme through to November at 80% of wages. This and more will need to be done to support businesses and families through what is already tough times.
Want to know more?
You can find out more about further economic business support and the extended furlough scheme here.
Are you a woman in business?
Have a start-up or business advice story to share to ‘inspire and aspire’ our community in the 'new normal?'
Email me @: firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to start or grow your business income?
3Cs Digital is a web marketing service dedicated to helping women in business set up and develop their online presence. Through coaching or consultancy services in web design, copywriting and social media marketing 3Cs Digital equips women in business with the digital knowledge and skills to: create and design websites, find their brand voice and curate social media posts to attract their ideal customers to their small business website.